Attack of the Killer Tomatoes!
|Tomatoes, the uglier the better.|
Next to iceberg lettuce, no other produce item has suffered as many grave insults to good taste as the humble tomato.
Assumed to be poisonous as a member of the Night Shade family, many decades passed by while most of Europe eschewed the fruit.
Thankfully, we live in enlightened time - as long as we ourselves eschew that tasteless pulpy cardboard flavored supermarket tomato.
A couple of tips:
- Never, ever, EVER refrigerate raw tomato. An enzyme within the fruit converts the sugars to starch as soon as the temperature hits about 53ºF.
- Since you can't refrigerate, the clock is ticking. Use them raw within a day or two or cook and freeze (we plan on canning this year).
- Cherry tomatoes are a great snack during the day and are great for the kids.
- Sharpen your knives. If your knives are a little lack luster, try slicing the tomatoes with a bread knife.
|Get in me!|
The noble tomato needs no adornment at all, although I like to salt mine to draw out the umami characteristics.
One of our favorites at Chowbacca! is the Mexicaprese Salad, a California riff on an Italian classic. This is the tomato's home, after all.
- Two or three medium tomatoes, I like to pick contrasting colors.
- half of a large globe of fresh mozzarella, sliced or torn into small pieces or two or three boccancinis torn in half.
- Half an avocado, sliced lengthwise.
- Salt, pepper and olive oil to taste.