- One large eggplant about 3 cups when diced into roughly 1/2 inch cubes.
- Two small zucchini or squash type veggie cut into 1 inch cubes. (Thank you Contended Acres!)
- 3/4 chopped yellow onion.
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes. I used grape tomatoes sliced in half.
- 3 tablespoons of finely diced fresh garlic.
- 1/2 cup roasted red peppers.
- Roughly a 1/2 cup packed fresh sweet basil. (But my damn grocery store was out so I had to use about 1tablespoon dried ... still delicious.)
- Olive oil .. The good stuff. As needed.
- Salt and white pepper to taste
First chop and then salt the eggplant.
Set aside in colander for 20 mins.
The salt will draw out the bitter liquids, give it a squeeze and then in a hot pan, sauté eggplant in about 3 tablespoons olive oil until golden. Add more olive oil if it starts to stick.
Once browned, remove from pan and set aside.
Add more olive oil to your pan and sauté onions until translucent.
Add squash and half the garlic, sauté over medium heat until just soft.
Then add the roasted peppers sauté for a minute and then add the chopped tomato, basil and remainder of garlic.
Cook until the tomatoes begin to soften.
Add salt and white pepper to taste. I also like a good dose of grated Parmesan when serving, but it's not necessary...
Left overs taste even better!!