99% Bittersweet gets the credit for the biscuit recipe, but I'll use my own Bourbon-pepper gravy recipe ("...you boys always have to 'boy up' your recipes, don't you?" -99% Bittersweet, on boys and recipes, last Wednesday).
MILK KEFIR BUTTERY BISCUITS (by JKT):
In a small bowl combine -
- 4 cups AP flour.
- 1 1/2 tbsp baking powder.
- 2 tsp baking soda.
- 2 tsp kosher salt.
Then add -
- 3/4c cold unsalted butter, cubed
- Pulse a few times until the butter is pea sized.
Add the milk, kefir, vinegar mixture to the dry ingredients and fold gently until every thing is moistened. Dough will be pretty wet and sticky.
Preheat oven to 450ºF.
Turn dough out onto floured board and pat into a uniform mass.
Flatten to 2 inches thick and chop in half. Place one half on top of the other and repeat this step four times adding more flour as needed to prevent sticking.
Then flatten to 3/4" to 1" thick rectangle.
Using a dough scraper, slice into even rectangles. This will make between 15 and 20 biscuits. Place on parchment or foil 1" apart and brush tops with a bit of milk kefir.
Bake at 450ºF for about 12 minutes.
Cool on a wire rack.
Sausage & Gravy:
- 1 lbs of breakfast sausage.
- 1 tbsp butter.
- 1/4 cup tablespoons of AP flour.
- 3 cups stock.
- 1-2 tbsp of chopped fresh sage.
- 1 tbsp of chopped fresh thyme.
- 1 tbsp of fresh ground black peppercorns.
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced.
- 1/4 cup of heavy cream.
- 2 ounces of Kentucky bourbon.
- Salt to taste.
- Italian parsley to garnish.
- Optional: hot sauce to taste.
Add sausage and stock and stir until it begins to thicken. Simmer for about 10-15 minutes over medium low heat.
Add whiskey, cream, herbs, salt and pepper and hot sauce. Stir on high heat for another 2-3 minutes.
Spoon over warm biscuits and garnish with parsley.