Buckwheat Belgian Waffles (makes about 18 7" waffles):
3 cups total flour -
- 1 3/4 cups of AP flour.
- 1 1/4 cups of buckwheat flour.
- 4 tsp baking soda.
- 1 tsp cream of tartar.
- 2 tsp sugar.
- 1 tsp kosher salt.
6-7 large eggs separated -
- Whip whites to stiff peaks (add 1/2 tsp cream of tartar if needed to help hold).
Whisk yolks with 1 cup of melted butter, then add -
- 1 1/2 cups of milk
- 1 1/2 cups of kefir, yogurt or sour cream.
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract.
- 3-4 dashes of bitters (for this we really like the Fee Brothers Old Fashioned or Barrel Aged).
- Grated zest of one tangerine or 1/2 of a medium sized orange.
Mix the milk and yolks with the dry works and let it sit for up to an hour so the flour can absorb the liquid.
Fold the batter into the egg whites, 1/4 at a time, gently folding with a large rubber spatula from the bottom of the bowl over, turning the bowl 90º for each fold.
Spoon 1/2 cup of batter onto a 7" diameter waffle iron and bake for 3-5 minutes.