Get Stuffed: Thanksgiving 2013
Corn Bread (or any bread you like) Stuffing:
2 1/2 pounds of corn bread croutons -
- 1" cubes, toss with olive oil, salt and toast at 350ºF 12-15 minutes until GB&D*.
The Rest -
- 2 lbs sweet or hot or a mix of Italian sausage (pork, veal or venison).
- 4 stalks of celery, small dice.
- 1/2 cup shallots, diced.
- 4-5 crushed garlic cloves.
- 1/2 yellow onion diced.
- 2 green apples, diced.
- Salt and pepper.
- 1/2 sprig of rosemary (2 tsp, chopped).
- 3-4 sprigs of thyme (1 tbsp, chopped).
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh sage.
- 1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley.
- 6 eggs.
- 1 cup white wine.
- 8-10 cups of stock.
- 1 cup of grated parmesan cheese.
Brown sausage. Sautée onions, shallots, celery, herbs and garlic in sausage drippings, mix all.
Add 1 cup of white wine to this and simmer for a few moments to cook off alcohol. Allow to cool.
Beat 6 whole eggs, temper with 2 cups of stock. Add 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese.
Mix breadcrumbs, sausage mixture, eggs and add 6-8 more cups of stock as needed in a large bowl. Mix gently with a large spatula until all the breadcrumbs have soaked up stock.
Add raw diced apples.
Arrange in a large casserole and top with another 1/2 cup of shredded parmesan.
Bake at 350ºF, covered for 40 minutes. Uncover then cook for another 15 minutes until GB&D*.
* Golden, Brown & Delicious!
(We got our corn bread recipe from Chicken Bridge Bakery in North Carolina and no you can't have the recipe, sorry!)